Dr. Arpad Pusztai had his own research lab in Scotland’s prestigious Rowett Institute for over 30 years and was a highly regarded plant biologist. That ended when he reported the damaging inconvenient truth about his findings on genetically modified potatoes, an assignment initially intended to prove their safety.
The dismantling of his lab and his firing, with his findings under a gag order, placed him as one of the first martyrs of the GMO (genetically modified organisms) industry. (Source)
“The treatment of Dr. Pusztai sent a chilling precedent around the world. …On September 2, 2009, the prestigious journal Nature acknowledged that the regular attacks on biotech researchers are orchestrated by a “large block of scientists who denigrate research by other legitimate scientists in a knee-jerk, partisan, emotional way that is not helpful in advancing knowledge and is outside the ideals of scientific inquiry.” (Source)
Despite the honesty and rationality displayed by excellent books, terrific documentaries, and independent studies on the subject GMO dangers, government officials and most of the mainstream media (MSM) parrot the biotech industries propaganda unrelentingly.
Meanwhile, they ignore the likes of attorney Steven Druker, author of Altered Genes; Twisted Truth and Jeffrey Smith, author of Seeds of Deception and others who are trying to expose the factual dangers of GMOs.
Another British marginalized British scientist, Mae-Wan Ho, PhD, was co-founder and director of the Institute of Science in Society in London, England. She passed away in 2016.
This institution’s title is burdened with the unfortunate acronym ISIS, but it was founded in 1999 before the formation of Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS) in order to isolate her and other like-minded scientists from the conformity of university academia.
She and ISIS are against agricultural genetic engineering. Mae-Wan Ho is one of the very few who cited the dangers of the main transfer gene in GMOs, the 35S CaMV promoter taken from the cauliflower mosaic virus.
Ho indicates that this promoter is active across many organisms, including humans, and that it has a “recombination hot spot” where it tends to break and join up with other DNA, resulting in potentially disastrous genetic re-combinations with life threatening consequences for many living forms.
Earlier in California, an associate professor at the University of California, Davis campus, introduced his testimony to the dangers of 35S CaMV promoter with the understanding that this was probably going to cost him his future professorial tenure, but it had to get out.
He understood that expressing his clear and accurate understanding of this fatal flaw could block generous biotech research funding meant for the University of California college system with campuses throughout the state.
Agro Ecologist Don Lotter, PhD, explained that the biotech industry “assumed” the 35S CaMV promoter gene would be degraded in the gut. The promoter gene is the catalyst for genetic splicing and reformation. But it was discovered later that it didn’t degrade in the gut. But that discovery was kept secret.
Lotter also explained how the biotech industry took the early genetic explanation of one gene for one protein and ran with it. But that theory, not fact, was eventually proven wrong. They were off and running with a flawed premise.
The two papers Lotter had published in 2008 are available as pdfs here and here. You won’t see them reviewed or mentioned by mainstream media or much online either, unfortunately. Interestingly, Roseboro’s interview of Lotter ended with:
K. Roseboro: “What type of agricultural approaches do you think will solve the world’s food production challenges?”
D. Lotter: “The IAASTD (International Assessment of Agricultural Science and Technology for Development) report said that we can produce food using agro-ecological methods and successful green revolution methods. The report didn’t include transgenics. The report was signed by 60 countries, but the US didn’t sign it.” (Source)
An Ignored Massive Paper Lists Several Animal Studies Showing Negative Effects of GMOs
Mae-Wan Ho has 16 studies and farm animal cases listed in her paper. She also elaborates greatly on more with what is true and dangerous about GMOs and the poisons used to protect them, completely debunking all biotech claims.
Due to space restrictions, I’ll place only six of them below:
(1) A paper just published in 2013 reports significantly higher rates of severe stomach inflammation in pigs fed a mixed GM corn and soybean diet for 22.7 weeks compared with pigs fed an equivalent non-GM control diet: 32% compared to 12%. Female pigs on the GM diet also had uterus heavier by 25% on average.
(2) A 2-year lab feeding trial reported in 2012 found rats of both sexes exposed to Roundup and/or Roundup-tolerant maize not sprayed with herbicide were 2 to 3 times as likely to die as controls and to develop large tumors, of mammary glands in females and of kidney and skin in males. In other words, the GMO without the herbicide was also harmful in every respect.
Pituitary disease was up more than 2 fold in females and liver and kidney diseases up1.5 to 2 fold in males on GM maize alone that was not sprayed with herbicide. These effects appeared after the 90 day period legally required for safety tests on GMOs, thereby exposing the inadequacy of the regulatory regime. (Note: This was the Seralini GMO toxicity trial that created an uproar.)
(3) A Danish farmer found excessive illnesses and deaths in his pigs fed GM soy meal including chronic diarrhea, birth defects, reproductive problems, bloating, stomach ulcers, weak and smaller piglets, and reduced litter size. These were entirely reversed when he put them on a GMO-free diet.
(4) A meta-analysis pooling all available data on 19 feeding trials carried out for 90 days on GM soybean and maize, a time period the GMO industry uses that most consider inadequate for detecting the most serious health impact, nevertheless still found significant disruption of liver and kidney functions.
(5) Professor emeritus Don Huber of Purdue University warned of “pathogen new to science” associated with glyphosate tolerant GM crops and livestock fed on them, causing unprecedented deaths and infertility.
(6) Between 2005 and 2006, senior scientist Irina Ermakova at the Russian Academy of Sciences reported that female rats fed glyphosate-tolerant GM soybeans produced excessive numbers of severely stunted pups and more than half of the litter dying within three weeks, while the surviving pups were completely sterile.
This last study corroborated Dr. Apad Pusztai’s GM potato findings in Scotland, for which he was fired, as well as plant specialist professor Don Huber’s findings with real life farmers reporting increased still births among farm animals fed GMO feed, for which he was vilified.
Dr. Mae-Wan Ho’s complete paper is available here.
The actual science is not “in” with GMOs, as many government officials and industry spokespersons (shills) proclaim. It is being ignored, and suppressed for control and profit.
featured image: gmo-254539_960_720-1.jpg